We decided before having a baby that when they arrived they probably wouldn’t change our lives that much, who were we kidding!
- Everyone said sleep when the baby sleeps. For a while I didn’t sleep when she slept, I did the pots or the laundry, I pushed the hoover round or I polished. I should have slept!! After the colic kicked in sometimes we would go to bed and it would be light outside before the baby got her first wink of sleep for the night. Now I’ve often thought when I’ve worked long hours that I’ve been exhausted, I was lying! Our baby brought with her a level of tiredness that could never have imagined. I soon started sleeping when she slept and stuck two fingers up to the housework for a while!
- Weekend late nights and lie-ins ceased to exist! If I get to stay in bed until 7:30am I’m onto a winner!
- White noise! I have learnt the power that white noise holds, and I for one will never again underestimate that power. What a life saver – provider of sleep that was. Ewan I will be forever grateful!
- My lovely, little bit sporty, I’ve got to work all hours to pay for car has turned into a toy shop. A full on equivalent that would give ToysRus a run for its money.
- Car journeys, especially getting on holiday have turned into a ten suitcase packing, military operation. Child friendly holidays to Cornwall turned into eight hours’ worth of in car entertainment (mostly the Leap Frog Picnic Basket ‘two cups of lemonade’ – ‘oops sorry baby it looks like the batteries have run out, never mind!’)
After all of this has been said though as parents we have secretly enjoyed every minute, well most of it, well a lot of it has been shit and I’ve cried more than I have in years! But overall it’s been rather a good time! And with number two child on its way in the blink of an eye, I can honestly say that apart from shitting myself 99.9% of the time there is that 0.01% of me that really feels like I’m that bit more prepared for what our second bundle of joy may throw at us. But you know what? I wouldn’t change any of it for the world!
Wish me luck!
*I must state that the Picnic Basket was a present very gratefully received and the baby has genuinely LOVED this toy!