Baby J’s birthday has been and gone in the blink of an eye! We spent the morning opening presents, playing with her new toys and in the afternoon we visited the Yorkshire Wildlife Park. YWP is a great day out for all the family (I love zoos!), if this sort of thing is up your street I highly recommend it!
It’s a cliché, but time really does fly. It seems unbelievable that Baby J has been with us for a whole year, and that in that time Little E came along and made our little family complete. There have been so many things that have made this year so memorable, far too many to list them all! So here are my top five memorable moments from our first year of parenting:
1. Their arrivals- technically this is two moments but I’ll merge them together! I had two very different birth experiences with good and bad elements to both. Neither make me want to do it ever again, but birth has to be my top memorable moment(s) of the year!
2. Finding out I was pregnant for a second time so soon – Little E was planned, maybe a little naively, but planned nonetheless. Six weeks passed after having Baby J and suddenly I didn’t feel quite right. Even though we were trying for a second neither of us expected it to happen so soon, we were a little shocked but really happy! I think both of us knew deep down that it would be our last pregnancy, so we enjoyed the excitement of a positive pregnancy test for the last time!
3. Sleeping through – I talk about sleep a lot but this one definitely sticks in my mind. Those first few week with Baby J really seamt to last forever. She was colicky, had reflux and often cried until the wee, small hours. Then one day she slept through, I’m talking 10-6 but it was AMAZING! After that she went from strength to strength and now we have our selves a little sleeper! Let’s hope her little sister follows in her footsteps!
4. First words – ‘Catch’! Yes Baby J’s first word was ‘catch’. I had convinced myself that her first word would be ‘Joe’, the name of our Border Collie. Let’s face it those collies are crazy and we shout his name at least twenty times a day! It seems though that her favourite game is catch as is her favourite word!
5. Crawling – like most parents we spent months willing Baby J to move from the same spot where we had left her. We would put toys just out of her reach, beckon her to us and crawl at the side of her. She spent those months looking back at us like we had completely lost the plot. The first time she moved by herself was a little army crawl across the carpet. She giggled all of the time and we cheered and praised so much, our first proper milestone, #proudparents!
Now we are into our second year with Baby J and our first with Little E, I’m sure this list will grow and grow. We all know that parenting is tough sometimes (a lot of the time), but these moments and thousands more make it all worth it!