Life passes us by in a flash. We are always so busy, there are little people to keep alive, work needs to be done, homes need to be run and that’s just the start of it. A lot of the time our lives are planned to the very last detail, in an attempt to make it run as smoothly as possible. Especially on those days that just don’t have enough hours!
Mostly we get on with this just fine, we fly from one day to the next keeping our heads just nicely above water, but sometimes we can get stuck in a rut. Sometimes the days start to pass in a blur, and we wonder where our direction has disappeared to. These are the days that negativity can take over, and you know what they say – ‘negativity breeds negativity’.
After the birth of my second child my days quickly turned into constant blur, living from hour to hour, just getting by. Life seemed to lose all significant meaning, tiredness took over and the daily grind felt almost impossible. Three months in I found myself striving for change, I felt the need to lose the negativity that clouded my life, to become positive and continue to be positive whatever the weather.
Here are some tips on how to bring more positivity into your life, apply them and watch it grow!
- Choose to see the good in life – lets face it life throws crap our way. Some days it feels like we have more than our fair share of crap thrown at us, and its so easy to get bogged down in the rubbish. Eventually we can end up feeling like nothing good ever happens. This is not true. Every day something good happens, even if it’s only a small thing – the sun shining, an extra ten minutes in bed (yeah right!), a simple ‘I love you’ from those we care about. Focus on the good, even if its tiny, focus on it!
- Eat right- now don’t get me wrong we all deserve a treat once in a while, but a healthy and balanced diet makes us feel better on the inside. When our bodies feel good it’s easier for our minds to feel good!
- Be thankful- look closely, see what you have. Someone else may be richer, they may have a nicer car or a bigger house. Who cares? Look around you and take stock of your life, what you have is priceless, be thankful for it.
- Know your triggers and take care of them- we all have triggers: actions, songs, situations, people. Triggers affect how we think and feel and they can change our mind set before we’ve even realised its happened. Know what your triggers are, learn how to take care of them and manage them. If that song comes on, turn it off – you get the idea.
- See the bigger picture- when bad things happen it’s frustrating and upsetting. Often right in that moment it can feel impossible to deal with. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, does it really matter? Will you care about this after a few days have passed? Will it continue to affect you or is it momentary? The chances are by tomorrow you will be completely over it, save yourself from being drawn into a negative cycle. Step back and let it go.
- Act positively- even if you aren’t feeling all that positive, act it anyway. The more you act positive the more you will feel it and eventually that mind set will be your default. Keep at it!
- Smile- just smile. Smiling instantly makes us happier, even if it’s just for a split second. Keep smiling, seconds add up!
So there we have it, these simple but effective tips can help us shift those negative feelings that are harbouring in the crevices of our minds. Let’s stop with the negativity and let positivity breed positivity!